Our History

The work of The Richmond Charities, housing and supporting elderly people in housing need in our borough, goes back over 400 years. The first of Richmond's almshouses were Queen Elizabeth's Almshouses, founded in 1600. From then on, over the centuries, wealthy benefactors continued to endow land and property for the building of almshouses and The Richmond Charities now owns and runs 130 almshouses spread over 9 estates in Richmond and Twickenham.

 

Queen Elizabeth's Almshouses
|
1600
Bishop Duppa's Almshouses
|
1660
Michel's Almshouses
|
1695
Hickey’s Almshouses
|
1728
Houblon's Almshouses
|
1758

 

Our Staff

The Richmond Charities employs 11 members of staff who are based at three offices at The Green, Hickey’s Almshouses and Michel’s Almshouses.

(Please click an image for more info)

Our Trustees

Our Welfare Grants

The Richmond Charities runs three small welfare charities which support those in need in the London Borough of Richmond upon Thames.

 

Read more

Our Investment Properties

The Richmond Charities owns 150 investment properties in Richmond. The management of these properties is run on the charity’s behalf by HML Shaw and lettings are advertised by Chancellors. If you would like more information on renting one of The Richmond Charities’ investment properties,
please contact HML Shaw on 020 8948 3211.