This Charity was founded in 1870 and was registered with the Charity Commission on 15 December 1964.
The Trustees currently administer four welfare charities:
- Henry Smith’s Charity
- The Misses Thomson Charity & The Whipple Charity
- Richmond Aid in Sickness
- Richmond Philanthropic Society
The funds received from Smith’s Charity for distribution are entirely separate and do not form part of the Trustees’ investments.
The remaining welfare charities result from individual endowments or special arrangements.
Applicants to the welfare charities are required - at the time of application - to live in the former Borough of Richmond, which is the area in existence immediately prior to the creation of the London Borough of Richmond upon Thames. This consists of Richmond, Kew, Petersham and Ham – TW9 and TW10. The one exception to this is Richmond Aid in Sickness where applicants may come from the whole of the London Borough of Richmond, as constituted from time to time.
This Charity came into being as a result of a Sealed Order by the Charity Commissioners dated 21 December 1956. The Order amalgamated four small local charities, set out below, which had a special interest in helping poor, sick people in the area:
Miss Blanche Thomson of 91 The Vineyard, Richmond, died in October 1932.
In 1642 the Trustees of Smith's Charity determined that the Parish of Richmond should receive annually two-fifths of the income from the Kempsing Estate and one-sixth of that of the Tellescombe Estate. The capital endowments of the Estates now are invested in the stock market.