Bishop Duppa's Almshouses
Founded by Brian Duppa, Bishop of Chichester, in 1660 and endowed by the gift of a farm at Shepperton. The almshouses were originally built at Friars Stile Lane. After the Restoration, Brian Duppa became the Bishop of Winchester.
Rebuilt to a design by Thomas Little and relocated in The Vineyard. The front arch and gateway were transferred from the original almshouse estate and survive to this day
10 almshouses were founded by Humphrey Michel in 1695. In 1727 William Smithet endowed the charity with property in Kew Foot Road and land now including Michel's Row and Rosedale Road.
6 new houses added
1 new bungalow added
No.10 converted into guest accommodation and an office
William Hickey died in 1728 and left property which increased so much in value that the Trustees used funds in 1834 to build 20 almshouses, Porter's & Nurse's Lodges and a Chapel on a site in Marshgate Lane, now Sheen Road.
William Hickey died
20 almshouses built
8 more almshouses added
Chaplain’s House built
4 houses were built on some vacant land in Adelaide Road
12 bungalows built
3c Adelaide Road built -originally as warden accommodation
5 flats were built, plus laundry and workshop
One of which is now used as the estate office
Houblon's Almshouses were founded in 1758 by Rebecca Houblon and further endowed by her sister Susannah Houblon. These are the charity's oldest almshouses still standing.
2 additional almshouses built
Internal restructuring to accommodate bathrooms reduced the number of almshouses to 9
Church Estate Almshouses
The Church Estate is the oldest charity in Richmond and research indicates that the charity may date back to 1375. 10 almshouses were built in Sheen Road in 1843.
2 blocks comprising 8 studio apartments were added
Church Estate and Richmond Charities' Almshouses merged
1 block was extended to create 4 one-bedroom almshouses
Candler Almshouses were built in 1936 to fulfil the bequest of William Candler who had died in 1907. They were originally owned and managed by Twickenham United Charities.
10 almshouses built
Twickenham United Charities and Richmond Charities' Almshouses merged
Refurbishment work carried out to provide each almshouse with its own bathroom